HertzWin is a free Hertzian stress calculator. It can be used to calculate mechanical point and line contact dimensions and material stresses. The application performs all calculations automatically. A clearly laid-out window allows you to enter material properties, dimensions and loads. The same window then immediately displays the results. This practical calculator has been developed by Vink System Design & Analysis.
- point and line contact stress calculations;
- contact width, Hertz stress, shear stress, deformation, contact stiffness traction stiffness and required material strength;
- Imperial + SI units;
- the influence of the surface roughness;
- lifetime calculations;
- influence of traction forces;
- exact elliptical integral calculations using numerical integration;
- comprehensive list of material properties;
- extensive help files;
- Windows Clipboard copy function;
- Also runs on Linux using Wine.
- Graphs of stresses and displacements;
- Maximum shear stress and Von Mises stress per contacting body;
- Tables with the used formulas in HertzWin (traceability) in the help function.
Further information on the new functionality can be found in the program’s corresponding help function.
HertzWin most recent release is version 2.6.4 (February 2017). See the release notes. Download HertzWin here. Note: if you are running one of the toolkit programs on a high resolution display (High DPI) under Windows 10, the fonts can be blurry. See this article how to fix is easily.
Currently, HertzWin is distributed in English and in the Dutch language. Would you like to help to translate HertzWin into your language, or you see an error in current localization for your language that you would like to fix? Here are the steps to help out:
- Send an email to info(@)vinksda.nl. Just state what you would like to translate: user interface, help-file or this web page;
- A link will be mailed to you that enables you to edit the localization file online.
HertzWin runs under Windows or under Linux using Wine. To install and run on Linux just follow these instructions. Required disk space is 1.1 MB. HertzWin does not run under Apple OS.
Screenshot of the window with graphs of stresses and formations:
By numerically solving the elliptic integrals of Hertz formulas, HertzWin is very accurate. Various users have tested HertzWin and compared it to their own calculations. All checks to date have not revealed any errors in the results. Read more about the accuracy of HertzWin in frequently asked questions about HertzWin.
You can download and use HertzWin for free after registration. Via the registration, you will receive an e-mail when an update or new software is available. There are already more than 1900 users of HertzWin (January 2017).
Please check the software programs about which you want to receive news. You will receive an email with a download link to the software.
What users say about HertzWin
- “I just discovered your program a few days ago and absolutely love it!”. Damjan, Croatia
- “I would like to thank you for your program. It is really easy to use it and it has really nice visualization”. Frantisek, Czech Republic
- “This software package provides a great service to mechanical engineers and other design professionals around the world. Thank you. I have checked my own calculations against HertzWin, and found them to be in very close agreement. The refinements added to release 2.4 will make it even more useful”. Gordon, Canada
- “Thanks for this useful software”. Jérôme, France
- “I use HertzWin to calculate contact stiffness. My compliments for the user-friendliness and the visual feedback”. Peter, The Netherlands
- “I have downloaded your HertzWin program and have confirmed that your Hertz Contact Stress calculation matches what I have been using. I believe that your program will be helpful in quickly checking my hand calculations”. Michael, USA (Pennsylvania)
- “Thanks for the wonderful HertzWin software”. Anh, USA (California)
- “Useful program, thank you very much. I will forward it to my colleagues”. Rene, The Netherlands
- “Congratulations for the software. It is very Useful!!” José, Brasil
- “I use HertzWin often to make a quick estimation of the Hertzian stresses and contact stiffness”. Martijn, The Netherlands
- “Thanks for the update release information and beautiful & informative product”. Sriramachandra, India
- “I am a current user of your HertzWin software and appreciate it a lot”. Philippe, Canada
- “HertzWin does exactly what it should do. I gathered a lot of literature and I come to the conclusion that the results of the program matches exactly with the literature”. Jan, The Netherlands
- “Thank you Jaap, the calculator is very useful!”. George, USA
- “First of all thank you for putting HertzWin and FlexHinge on-line, very useful!!”. Lennino, Nederland
- “I am very satisfied with your program, I appreciate it a lot”. Mile, Nederland
I am interested in your experience with HertzWin. Leave a comment below or send an e-mail.